In this day and age, we’ve become used to having the ability to get what we want at a moment’s notice. This desire for instant gratification has carried over into the world of psychics with people being able to get a reading performed at any time.
The occasional reading isn’t harming anyone and can even help clarify certain issues in a person’s life. But like anything, it can be taken too far. Just like with drugs, alcohol, gambling, or shopping, it is possible to become addicted to getting psychic advice. This can be in the form of psychic readings over the phone or via the internet.
Psychic dependency is an area of addiction that is rarely discussed. Fortunately, there is now a book devoted to the subject of psychic addiction. It’s opening eyes to just how large of a problem it has become.
Sarah Lassez’s new book “Psychic Junkie: A Memoir” details her descent from visiting a psychic every now and then to an addiction that cost her thousands of dollars and almost cost her her career. She points out that despite coming from an educated background, she still fell under the spell of psychics. She cites shame as the biggest obstacle to dealing with her addiction.
Signs of Psychic Addiction or Dependency
Addiction or dependency on psychic advice can affect anyone. Typically, there are 6 major signs that you have a dependency on your psychic’s advice.
- You have gone in for more than 2 readings over the last year about the same problem.
- You felt the need to contact a psychic on a whim due to feeling unable to wait for a specific situation to resolve itself. You feel as if you have to know the outcome right away.
- You have received a reading that you paid for on your credit card only to have an additional reading performed before you have paid off the initial reading.
- You have gone on a “psychic hopping” bender. This is the phenomenon where you continue to contact a second, third, fourth and even more psychics for an intuitive reading because you weren’t happy with what the first psychic had to say. It can also take the form of feeling as if you have to verify with a different psychic what the first one said so that you believe it to be true.
- You have gone in for several psychic readings and you continue to repeatedly ask the same questions without making any sort of change to your life. Basically, wanting a different outcome for a situation that hasn’t changed. You felt the need to make an emergency visit or call to your preferred psychic because you had to get answers about a situation as soon as it arises.
The occasional intuitive session can be enlightening when performed by a reputable psychic. However, it can become a problem if it feels as if you can’t make a decision about what to do in your life without consulting your psychic first.
What Causes Psychic Addiction?
Addiction is complex and can affect anyone. Scientists theorize that it is a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Some people may be more likely to form addictive habits because their brain chemistry may make it harder for them to resist certain impulses. In other cases, it could be due to an underlying psychological disorder such as anxiety or depression.
With a psychic addiction, there are also life scenarios that can play a role in developing this dependence. If events outside of your control have caused you to feel overwhelmed or fearful of what might happen next, you are more likely to become addicted.
One of the most difficult parts of being an adult is having to make and live with your decisions. Life changing decisions come up regularly, and some people feel that a psychic can help them make the best decision. Without a strong support network of friends or family to turn to for advice, some people may feel that they are unable to handle these choices on their own.
Sometimes, intuitive guidance can be an immense help when forced with a choice to make. The problem is when it becomes impossible for you to make any sort of a decision without first running the situation by your psychic for their opinion on the matter.
Fear of The Unknown
The second factor shown to be partly to blame for psychic addictions forming is a fear of the unknown. When faced with multiple options or when a decision is needed right away, it’s natural to want reassurance that everything will turn out fine. You want to feel that you made the right choice. This is a very comforting feeling.
It’s also comforting knowing the outcome of something. It enables you to be prepared on an emotional level. Whatever is causing your addiction to psychics, a little self-reflection should show that the dependency is the result of some unresolved issue that has been bothering you for a while.
Ways to Combat a Psychic Addiction
Beating any addiction is a difficult task. You have to be prepared to have an emotional toll taken on you to get better. The following are some of the ways you can help break the chains of your addiction and regain some control in your life:
- Feeling like you have to get an “emergency” reading? Resist the temptation by engaging in another activity you enjoy. This can be taking a walk or doing an activity that will occupy your thoughts so they don’t linger on your desire for a reading.
- Force yourself to go a minimum of six months without getting a reading of any form. Many people think this is an easy thing to do, but it can be quite difficult to stick by. However, in many cases just making the decision to not go in for a reading can help you break your addiction.
- Speak with a counselor, friend, or family member. It can be embarrassing to admit that you have an addiction to psychics. But speaking with someone about the issue always helps. Not only does it get the problem out in the open, but it can also enable others to better understand some of the things that weigh on your mind.
- Meditation is a great way to relax while also increasing your belief in yourself. Many adherents to meditation point to how it helps to quiet down everything going on in your head. Meditating daily will enable you to tune things out and focus on the questions that you feel you need answers to.
There are many benefits to getting a reading done by a psychic from time to time. It can give you peace of mind when you are facing a major life decision. It can also help give a situation a bit of clarity so that you better understand how to proceed.
However, this need for answers from a psychic can grow out of control and can create a psychic dependency or addiction. When this becomes the case, it is important to address the situation and figure out what the cause of the addiction is. This will help you deal with the issue in a healthy way before it gets out of hand and ruins your life.